UNEP FI carries out its activities in North America through the North American Working Group in Canada and the United States. The Group is working to incorporate the principles of sustainable development as normal business practice and to provide leadership in the North American financial sector. Specific goals include:
- To create a forum for North American Signatories to the UNEP FI Statements to exchange ideas and best practice in the area of finance and sustainability;
- To explore and raise awareness on specific environmental and social issues, such as climate change, and its impact on the North American financial sector;
- To identify and disseminate risks and opportunities related to social and environmental issues for the financial services industry in North America.
- North America Task Force member, Barbara Turley-McIntyre (The Co-operators) spoke at a panel on Sustainable and resilient cities and infrastructure: How insurers are working together with city governments at the Insuring for sustainable development: Making it happen. This was an international event convened by the PSI and Allianz 5-6 October 2016 in Munich, Germany.
- UNEP FI, Climate Action and Sustainable Investment Forum co-hosted a day-long session on Financing Innovation for Climate Action as part of Climate week in New York City on September 20th, 2016.
- North American Task Force members as part of a UNEP FI Property Working Group launched a publication entitled, Commercial Real Estate: Unlocking the energy efficiency retrofit investment opportunity 26 February, 2014, New York, USA
- An investor briefing was held in New York February 26, 2014 to launch a new publication to highlight the investment opportunities currently available in the commercial real estate market.
California Department of Insurance (United States)
Ceres (United States)
International Actuarial Association (Canada)
International Finance Corporation (United States)
International Institute for Sustainable Development (Canada)
International Insurance Society (United States)
Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (United States)
Temple University Fox School of Business (United States)
Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner (United States)
Liesel van Ast, Regional Co-ordination Manager