NEW: Version 3 of the Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool for Banks is out now!
Based on a unique Holistic Impact Methodology derived from UNEP FI’s Principles for Positive Impact Finance, the Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool for Banks represents a great step forward for impact analysis in banking. The Tool, now in its second iteration, was developed with signatories of the Principles for Responsible Banking (PRB) and UNEP FI Member Banks, and is designed specifically to support signatories to the Principles.
The Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool for Banks is an iterative input-output workflow which requires users to input data to describe their portfolio and to reflect their current impact performance. The Tool uses the input data in combination with a set of in-built impact mappings to produce a number of outputs, in particular a set of impact profiles by business line, and to guide the user in identifying the bank’s most significant impact areas and determining priorities, thus setting the basis for strategy development and target-setting as per the requirements of the PRB:
‘We will continuously increase our positive impacts while reducing the negative impacts on, and managing the risks to, people and environment resulting from our activities, products and services. To this end, we will set and publish targets where we can have the most significant impacts.’
Principle 2, Principles for Responsible Banking
The impact areas considered in the tool are those listed and described in the Impact Radar (Positive Impact Initiative, UNEP FI, 2018).
New features of Version 2 include:
- Dedicated section to support and document users’ preliminary scoping work
- Sector selection in four different industry classification codes (ANZIC, ISIC, NACE, NAICS)
- Increased capacity
- Revised workflow for Impact Profile interpretation, Performance review and assessment section, including a new, in-built Indicator Library
- Dashboard visualisation of the final outcomes of the analysis
- Clearer and streamlined navigation
Version 2 comes with an updated User Guide. The new User Guide now also includes an explanation of the UNEP FI Holistic Impact Analysis Methodology and its application to bank portfolios, as well as a host of tips on how to prepare for and get started with holistic portfolio impact analysis, including options for implementing the methodology with or without ‘off-the-shelf’ usage of the Tool.
- Download the User Guide for Version 2 of the Tool here
- Access an interactive online introduction to the Tool here.
- Watch the launch and walk-through of Version 2, featuring UNEP FI, SASB, Piraeus Bank here.
- Access the demo version (includes dummy data) of the Tool here.
- If you would like to access Version 1 of the tool, please get in touch here.
- The Tool is a “live tool” that actively incorporates user feedback; we recommend that you frequently check the website for updates to ensure you have the latest version.
- Due to the large file size, it may take some time to download and for some of the outputs to display (to improve usability, please increase autosave intervals).
A pioneer group of PRB endorsers and other UNEP FI banking members joined forces in 2019 to help UNEP FI develop the Tool. In 2020 a Working Group of over 50 banks came together and became the first generation of banks to use the Tool to implement their PRB commitments. Version 2 of the Tool was developed with the Working Group, based on their user experience.
Help us to improve the Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool for Banks!
- If you are a bank, please share your user experience and feedback with us
- If you are a topic or impact expert, help us to refine the Tool’s in-built sector-impact mappings
You may also be interested in:
- Corporate Impact Analysis Tool (2020)
- Principles for Responsible Banking
- Rethinking Impact to Finance the SDGs – Our unique theory of impact (2018)
- The Impact Radar (2018)
- Careen Abb, Programme Leader, Positive Impact, UNEP FI – email@example.com
- Costanza Ghera, Content Manager, Positive Impact, UNEP FI – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Puleng Ndjwili-Potele, Interim Lead, Banking Team, UNEP FI – email@example.com
- Mustafa Chaudhry, Communications, UNEP FI – firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © United Nations Environment Programme, 2021
The UNEP FI Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool for Banks and its User Guide may be reproduced in whole or in part and in any form for non-commercial educational or non-profit purposes without special permission from the copyright holder, provided acknowledgement of the source is made. Please contact the United Nations Environment Programme for a tailored acknowledgement statement. The United Nations Environment Programme would appreciate receiving an electronic copy of any materials (publications, resources, tools) that use all or part of this resource either directly or as a source of inspiration.
No use of the UNEP FI Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool for Banks and its User Guide may be made for resale or for any other commercial purpose whatsoever without prior permission in writing from the United Nations Environment Programme.