Latin America & Caribbean
|Date joined:||20 December, 2019|
Founded in 1942 under the name of Banco de Crédito da Borracha (Rubber Credit Bank), Banco de Amazônia is a Federal Public Financial Institution of a regional nature, organized as a joint-stock publicly-held corporation under the control of the Federal Government, which was, among its attributions, provided for in its Bylaws the following:
- Execute the Federal Government’s policy in the Amazon Region regarding credit for economic and social development;
- Provide services and carry out all the operations inherent to the banking activity, among others.
With headquarter in the city of Belém, in the state of Pará, the Bank operates with individuals and legal entities throughout the Brazilian Amazônia Legal, comprising the states of Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Pará, Rondônia, Roraima, Tocantins, Mato Grosso and part of Maranhäo.
It has 122 service points, distributed in ten units of the Federation, covering the North, Northeast, Midwest and State of São Paolo. The jurisdiction of the points of service is distributed to cover 100% of the municipalities of the Legal Amazon.
Banco de Amazônia operates in the financial market with banking products and services, such as loans and financing, collection, billing, payroll; in the credit card sector; of third-party resources management, such as investment and savings funds; insurance; pension plan and capitalization; and foreign exchange operations.
As a financial agent of the Federal Government, Banco da Amazônia operates in accordance with the policies, plans and government programs aimed at sustainable regional development, serving, through its credit policy, 450 municipalities in the Northern Region.
According to information from Banco Central do Brasil (Central Bank of Brazil), Banco da Amazônia becomes responsible for 63.44% of the development credit applied in the Northern Region.
Summary of Sustainable Strategy:
Banco da Amazônia invests in initiatives that favor economic, environmental and social aspects geared to the Amazon region, by financing companies that respect sustainability, supports research aimed at improving productive systems with an appreciation of biodiversity and disseminates the knowledge generated through its scientific journal. It also supports cultural and sports projects that value what is legitimately Amazonian and that favor the citizenship of the local needy communities.
Banco da Amazônia is the financial agent responsible for the administration fo the Constitutional Financing Fund of the North (FNO), one of the main instruments of the National Policy for Regional Development (PNDR) in support of reducing regional inequalities. The Fund covers the seven states of the Northern Region (Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Pará, Rondônia, Roraima and Tocantins), representing 45.3% of the Brazilian territory, through six financing programs:
- National Program for the Strengthening of Family Agriculture (FNO – Pronaf)
- Funding Program for the Sustainable Development of the Amazon (FNO – Sustainable Amazon)
- Funding Program for the Maintenance and Recovery of Amazonian Biodiversity (FNO – Biodiversity)
- Program for Financing Micro and Small Companies and Individual Microentrepreneurs (FNO – MPEI)
- Funding Program in Support of Low Carbon Agriculture (FNO – ABC).
The strategic guidelines of the FNO prioritize the smaller productive segments such as family-based agriculture; enterprises that use raw materials and local labor; production of basic food for the consumption of the population and sustainable projects, contributing to the reduction of inequalities and to the growth of the regional economy. The impacts of credit lines reveal their importance as the main economic and financial instrument that promotes the sustainable development of the North Region.
Among the socio-economic benefits expected by the FNO, the highlight is the generation fo new employment opportunities; increase of the Gross Value of Production (VBP) and of the Gross Domestic Product (PIB); reduction of rural exodus and poverty; social inclusion; minimization of intra and interregional inequalities; increase of the salary mass and increase of the tax collection.
Products and services with environmental benefits:
- FNO Biodiversity: in 2019 (until October) applied a volume of resources in the order of R$9,00 million.
- FNO Low Carbon Agriculture: in 2019 applied a volume of R$80.94 million.
- PRONAF Eco: in 2019 applied a volume of R$2.41 million.
- PRONAF Forest: in 2019 applied a volume of R$39.73 million.
Focused on our role as an inducer of sustainable productive fostering, we invest in process improvement and credit tools, from legacy systems, channels to new and innovative digital processes. Another point to be explored is the sustainable credit differential and interactions with the business ecosystem, which, with innovative actions, seeks to add value to the fostering and propose new solutions to customers.
In this way, we promote employment and income generation in the Amazon, which will certainly lead to an improvement in the quality of life of local populations.
Banco da Amazônia is focused on promoting sustainable development of the Amazon through its financing. So some of the reasons for joining UNEP FI are:
– Improving business opportunities with other partners equally committed to sustainability through UNEP FI’s platform;
– Integrating into the UNEP network, and disseminate Banco da Amazônia’s activities around the world;
– Knowing the performance of peers working with sustainability and innovations are some of the Bank’s purposes for joining UNEP;
– Take part in the innovative work program and in working groups in the development of new methodologies and methods;
– Learn about the latest trends and how to apply best practices in sustainable finance;
In addition, as a leading financial institution for long-term financing in the Amazon, inducing sustainable practices consistent with the sustainable development goals (SDGs) is an important aspect of UNEP membership.
So it is noteworthy that affiliations that align with our purpose will be of great importance for our mission to be fulfilled, the goals achieved in accordance with the values of the organization. In this sense, affiliation with UNEP FI is part of Banco da Amazônia’s strategy to promote sustainable development in the Northern region of Brazil.
Links to the latest sustainability/integrated report, reporting period and web link:
Financial reporting period/fiscal year and link to annual report: