25 September 2020
UN-convened Net-Zero Asset Owner Alliance kicks off Sustainable Investment Forum North America
Members of the UN-convened Net-Zero Asset Owner Alliance and its Chair, Guenther Thallinger, launched the virtual Sustainable Investment Forum North America (SIF NA) – a collaboration between UNEP FI and Climate Action.
The largest climate finance event during New York Climate Week – “Mobilising sustainable investment towards a 1.5-degree world” – saw keynotes by Eric Usher, Head of UNEP FI, and Mr Thallinger, who is a board member of Allianz SE.
The Asset Owner Alliance was launched one year ago at the 2019 UN Climate Action Summit at the headquarters of the United Nations in New York on 23rd September 2019. Convened by the PRI and UNEP FI, today the Alliance comprises a leadership group of 29 asset owners from around the world, focused on net-zero emissions by 2050. Specifically, participating asset owners make a public commitment, at CEO-level, to set a target to align their portfolios with net zero by 2050, consistent with 1.5C, and to set interim targets for this. AOA is also a part of the COP26 Champions’ Race to Zero campaign, which focuses on net zero targets from non-party stakeholders.
Session speakers included:
- Moderator: Sagarika Chatterjee, Director of Climate Change, PRI and COP26 High-level Champions – finance lead
- Barbara Boigegrain, General Secretary and CEO, Wespath
- Charles Emond, CEO, CDPQ
- Nili Gilbert, Chairwoman of the Investment Committee, David Rockefeller Fund
- Pedro Guazo, Representative of the Secretary General, UN Joint Staff Pension Fund
- Margaret Kuhlow, Interim Global Conservation Director, WWF International