Our sustainable finance tools and training services are part of our effort to fulfil the mission of UNEP FI to “identify, promote, and realise the adoption of best environmental and sustainability practice at all levels of financial institution operations”.
These services aim to raise awareness and to build capacity in sustainable finance amongst UNEP FI Signatories and other financial institutions, as well as relevant stakeholders in governments, NGOs and academia, especially in developing countries and emerging markets.
UNEP FI Training Programs
UNEP FI has a range of training offerings, both online and in a workshop format, covering the following themes:
- Environmental & Social Risk Analysis (ESRA) Training Programme
- Corporate Eco-efficiency in Financial Institutions (CEFI) Online Course
- Climate Change: Risks and Opportunities for the Finance Sector Online Course
- Green Bonds Training Programme
- Responsible Investment Training Programme
- Sustainable Finance Training Programme
- Sustainable Finance for Cooperatives of Saving & Credit Training Programme
Principles for Responsible Banking
The Principles for Responsible Banking provide the framework for a sustainable banking system, and help the industry to demonstrate how it makes a positive contribution to society. They are accelerating the banking industry’s contribution to achieving society’s goals as expressed in the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Agreement.
Tools and Guidelines
- Easy Guide
- Guidance Document
- The Principles Signature Document, containing the six Principles for Responsible Banking and their Preamble.;
- The Key Steps to be Implemented by Signatories, detailing key steps regarding impact analysis, target setting & implementation, and accountability your bank needs to take to ensure the effective implementation of the Principles for Responsible Banking;
- The Reporting and Self-Assessment Template, which guides banks’ transparency on their progress in implementing the Principles for Responsible Banking and on their impacts.
- Collective Commitment for Climate Action
Recommendations of the FSB’s Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
UNEP FI, together with 16 of the world’s leading banks, set out on a year-long project to pioneer and further develop transition and physical assessment models and metrics to enable scenario-based, forward-looking assessment and disclosure of climate-related risks and opportunities.
The contributions of the pilot have better equipped participating banks and the banking industry at large to implement the recommendations of the Financial Stability Board’s Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).
Tools and Guidelines
- Navigating a New Climate: Assessing Credit Risk and Opportunity in a Changing Climate – Report assesses Physical Risk and Opportunities
- Extending our Horizons: Assessing Credit Risk and Opportunity in a Changing Climate– Report assesses Transition (Policy) Risk
- Changing Course report for Asset Owners and Managers (Vivid Economics, Carbon Delta)
- Changing Course report for Real Estate Investors