Founded in September 2019 at the UN Secretary General’s Climate Action Summit by Allianz, Caisse des Dépôts, La Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), Folksam Group, PensionDanmark, and SwissRe, the Net-Zero Asset Owner Alliance is convened by UNEP’s Finance Initiative and the Principles for Responsible Investment. The Alliance is supported by WWF and Global Optimism, an initiative led by Christiana Figueres, former Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
For further information on Alliance supporters, collaborators and scientific advisers, click here
Why the Net-Zero Asset Owner Alliance?
- Asset Owners have a unique role in the global economy and financial systems. We can drive the development of industry best practice through our investment mandates.
- As pension funds and insurance companies, we have long-term investment horizons and liabilities. We are not only acutely vulnerable to the systemic disruptions that climate change will unleash on ecosystems, societies, and economies, but also have a key role to play in catalysing decarbonisation of the global economy and investing in climate-resilience.
- Recent years have seen an unprecedented surge in investor concern, rhetoric, and action on climate change, spanning the various spheres of influence that investors have at their disposal: their portfolios, their own transparency, and the regulatory frameworks established by public policy.
- As a result, many investor and asset owner initiatives focusing on climate change exist today. While many of these initiatives are worthwhile and deserve further strengthening and promotion, their respective impacts will benefit from greater alignment and coordination through a joint and lasting Asset Owner-led alliance.
- The Alliance will seek to work with and enhance a range of other existing initiatives including
- Science-based Targets Initiative
- Climate Action 100+
- The Investor Energy & Climate Action Toolkit
- The Investor Agenda
How to achieve Paris alignment
The UN-convened Alliance will utilise state-of-the-art tools and align with various initiatives led by Asset Owners who have demonstrated leadership on the topic of decarbonisation. In more detail, potential actions would emphasise:
- Investor ambition and target-setting at portfolio level – reporting of contribution to progress in a sector-specific way
- Impact on the real economy and emissions – to the extent methodologies can be developed for this.
- Implementation via a holistic ESG approach for measuring and managing associated impacts.
- Joint engagement, and monitoring of engagements, based on the most authoritative, credible scientific input, to ensure consistency of messaging and necessary ambition. This will build on existing active ownership best practice already under development – such as ClimateAction100+.