Bank Pembangunan Malaysia Berhad (BPMB) is a development financial institution wholly owned by the Malaysian Government through the Minister of Finance Inc. BPMB is mandated to provide medium to long term financing to strategic sectors.
Some of BPMB’s ongoing initiative in sustainability strategy:
- Managing the Sustainable Development Financing Fund (SDFF) of RM2.0 Billion;
- Incorporating environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria evaluation process through the Project Evaluation and Impact Assessment Framework (MIND Framework – Measuring Impact of National Development);
- Changing in operating model from sector-focused to impact driven;
- Upgrading disclosures to make sustainability opportunities, risks and progress transparent to internal and external stakeholders through Integrated Reporting; and
- Carrying out green initiative efforts internally. BPMB believes that sustainability begins at home and hence transforming the workspace and the building to be more energy-efficient, zero plastic etc.
In line with BPMB’s new business model which emphasizes on sustainable development, it is imperative for BPMB to become a member of UNEP FI, taking into consideration that BPMB will have the opportunities to:
- Participate in rich work programme that enhance market practise in sustainable finance and gain insights into emerging approaches across banking, insurance and investment;
- Join industry and thematic work groups and collaborative projects to develop guidance on integrating sustainability;
- Co-develop or benefit from practical resources to identify and address environmental, social and governance issued linked to underwriting, lending and investment;
- Deepen expertise in topics such as ecosystem, risk management, climate adaptation and energy efficiency finance, climate-related financial disclosures and product development to finance the SDGs;
- Access ground breaking research and learn to embed impact assessment in target-setting;
- Engage in UNEP-FI network to exchange good practice across banking, insurance and investment peers and stay on top of issues that matter to the stakeholders;
- Participate in structured peer learning, knowledge sharing and capacity building activities;
- Have access to training and sustainable finance events that showcase leadership across the sector.