In order to fulfill its mission UNEP FI strives to provide a number of products and services directly aimed at facilitating the implementation of sustainable finance policies and practices in the global financial sector.
The Guide to Banking and Sustainability is a high-level, functional overview of what a sustainable bank looks like from inside and to the outside.
Who and what is it meant for?
The Guide is first and foremost a tool for banking practitioners themselves. It is meant as an awareness-raising, integration and outreach tool for:
- Senior management and board members seeking to educate themselves and their employees on banking and sustainability
- Sustainability teams seeking to engage employees across the bank
- Employees seeking to understand the relevance of sustainability issues to their work
- Employees who are engaging with external shareholders and stakeholders on sustainability expectations, risks, inquiries, and other matters.
The UNEP FI Human Rights Guidance Tool for the Finance Sector is designed as an online signposting tool providing information to lenders on human rights risks. Included in the tool you will find:
- background information
- specific issues relating to different industry sectors
- key questions to assist in impact assessment
- relevant international laws, standards and initiatives
Drought Stress Testing Tool
The ‘Drought Stress Testing Tool’ enables banks to assess if a client may be at risk from drought and how drought can affect a sector or region. A clearer understanding of the risk associated with droughts can help build more resilient financial institutions, and by shifting finance to less vulnerable sectors and regions, economies can become more stable and resource efficient. In turn, this helps the planet, as more resource efficient production in less vulnerable areas can produce healthier ecosystems better equipped to absorb shocks such as droughts.
Find out more, and download the tool here.