This public consultation aims to collect input from external stakeholders on the first ESG guide for the global Life and Health insurance industry developed by UNEP FI’s Principles for Sustainable Insurance Initiative and HSBC Life. The objectives of this guide are to:
- Provide recommended guidance to insurance industry participants in developing approaches to evaluate the potential impact of ESG risks on underwriting risks in the Life and Health insurance business from individual and group business perspectives
- Highlight the potential materiality of certain ESG risks on the underwriting risks in Life and Health insurance business, and provide examples for consideration to mitigate such risks
- Address growing concerns by stakeholders across society (e.g. NGOs, investors, governments) on ESG risks and articulate the peculiarities of the insurance business
- Demonstrate the valuable role the insurance industry plays in the global economy and society, and strengthen the industry’s contribution to sustainable development through enablement of collective coverage for individuals
The consultation questionnaire contains the three following sections:
- Contact information
- Feedback on the content of the guide
- Feedback on the Life and Health ESG underwriting risk “heat map”
*Please note that we are not seeking company-wide views and individual responses are welcomed.
Feedback will remain confidential and will only be used by the Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI) Initiative’s Secretariat and members of the PSI Life & Health working group. Individual responses will not be shared or attributed. Results will be synthesized (without attribution) and presented internally to the working group.
If you are unable to access the consultation form, please send your feedback directly to the PSI Secretariat at email@example.com.
About the guide
This guide is designed to assist Life and Health insurance organisations link ESG and business impact. Co-led by HSBC Life, it supports the implementation of UNEP FI’s Principles for Sustainable Insurance.
The project started in 2021 with the development of a PSI member survey focusing on sustainability for the Life and Health insurance industry. The survey allowed the project team to understand the key ESG issues, challenges and opportunities faced by the industry.
This project builds on the ESG Guide for Non-Life insurance published in 2020.