UN Environment Programme Finance Initiative and the European Commission are organising a Sustainable Blue Economy Finance Workshop alongside the Sustainable Ocean Summit, which is themed: Investing in Ocean Future: Finance and Innovation for the Blue Economy. The workshop will explore actions for the finance sector to accelerate uptake of finance-related policies, practices, financial instruments, opportunities and initiatives to contribute to a sustainable blue economy. Participants will gain insights into examples of how financial institutions are integrating ocean sustainability into market practice, and emerging opportunities to scale up action.
The workshop will inform plans under the Sustainable Blue Economy Finance Initiative, hosted by UNEP FI, to support implementation of the Sustainable Blue Economy Principles developed by the European Commission, WWF, European Investment Bank and Prince of Wales’s International Sustainability Unit. The workshop will highlight actions that financial institutions and other key stakeholders are taking to contribute to financing a sustainable blue economy. Presentations are expected to be relevant to implementation of 3 of the Sustainable Blue Economy Principles.
Time: 17.30-19.00, 20 November
Location: Salons Lumière et Montgolfier, Hôtel de l’Industrie, 4 Place Saint-Germain-des-Prés, 75006, Paris
- Justin Mundy, Senior Advisor, Willis Towers Watson
- Chip Cunliffe, Director, Sustainable Development, AXA XL
- Matt McLuckie, Director of Research, Planet Tracker
- Lionel Mok, Policy Manager, Climate Bonds Initiative
- Tenke Zoltani, Founder, Better Finance and Development Finance Advisor, UNDP
- Dennis Fritsch, PhD, Researcher, Responsible Investor
- Magdalena Mihordea, Unit Blue Economy Sectors, Aquaculture and Maritime Spatial Planning, DG Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, European Commission
- Liesel van Ast, Acting Ecosystems, Biodiversity and Blue Economy Lead, UNEP Finance Initiative
- Louise Heaps, Head of Blue Economy, WWF
Cocktail reception | 19.00-21.30
Speakers and workshop participants are invited to join a cocktail reception hosted by the European Commission at Les Deux Magots (right next to the SOS conference venue).