This event is the first in a series on climate-aligned investing in Africa run by UNEP FI. A first step towards adaptation to future climate change is reducing vulnerability and exposure to present climate variability. Significant co-benefits, synergies and trade-offs exist between mitigation and adaptation and among different adaptation responses across sectors.
Questions investors in Africa must ask themselves are:
- How can investors assess and manage risks associated with climate?
- Can company and industry-level targets be aggregated to provide an indication of portfolio alignment for investors?
- How can different sectors of the economy, such as Energy or Utilities, relate to the transition to a net-zero and climate resilient economy?
- How can investors engage with different sectors of the economy to report on progress to clients, regulators, and other stakeholders?
- Reuben Wambui, Africa Regional Coordinator, UNEP FI (moderator)
- Rahnuma Chowdhury, Investor Climate Action Lead, UNEP FI
- Dr. Olufunso Somorin, Regional Principal Officer, East Africa, African Development Bank (AfDB)
- Gloria Namande, Project Manager at NDC Support Programme