Members benefit from UNEP FI’s collaborative membership base and implementation support.
To become a member:
- Complete a Membership Application Form (available from the Secretariat upon demand – contact us).
- Become a Signatory to the relevant industry commitments to advance sustainability integration in banking, insurance or investment.
Banking: Financial institutions with banking activities sign the Principles for Responsible Banking. Your bank becomes an official Signatory once your CEO signs the Principles Signatory Document. Signatories commit to six Principles:
- Alignment: We will align our business strategy to be consistent with and contribute to individuals’ needs and society’s goals, as expressed in the Sustainable Development Goals, the Paris Climate Agreement and relevant national and regional frameworks.
- Impact & Target Setting: We will continuously increase our positive impacts while reducing the negative impacts on, and managing the risks to, people and environment resulting from our activities, products and services. To this end, we will set and publish targets where we can have the most significant impacts.
- Clients & Customers: We will work responsibly with our clients and our customers to encourage sustainable practices and enable economic activities that create shared prosperity for current and future generations.
- Stakeholders: We will proactively and responsibly consult, engage and partner with relevant stakeholders to achieve society’s goals.
- Governance & Culture: We will implement our commitment to these Principles through effective governance and a culture of responsible banking.
- Transparency & Accountability: We will periodically review our individual and collective implementation of these Principles and be transparent about and accountable for our positive and negative impacts and our contribution to society’s goals.
Find out how to become a Signatory: Easy Guide to Becoming a Signatory.
Insurance: Insurers, reinsurers and brokers join UNEP FI by committing to the Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI), a global framework for the insurance industry to address environmental, social and governance risks and opportunities and fulfil its role in enabling a healthy, safe, resilient and sustainable society. Signatories commit to four principles:
- Principle 1: We will embed in our decision-making environmental, social and governance issues relevant to our insurance business.
- Principle 2: We will work together with our clients and business partners to raise awareness of environmental, social and governance issues, manage risk and develop solutions.
- Principle 3: We will work together with governments, regulators and other key stakeholders to promote widespread action across society on environmental, social and governance issues.
- Principle 4: We will demonstrate accountability and transparency in regularly disclosing publicly our progress in implementing the Principles.
Investment: Asset managers and owners join UNEP FI to show leadership on advancing the responsible investment agenda at a global level by endorsing UNEP FI’s Statement of Commitment by Financial Institutions on Sustainable Development.
What happens next?
UNEP FI will assess your signatory document and membership application over the next few weeks. If your organization is successful in becoming a member:
- You will receive an official Welcome Letter confirming your status as a Signatory and Member.
- New members are announced in UNEP FI’s newsletter and your organization’s profile will feature on our members’ page.
- You will receive a Welcome Package including:
- UNEP FI’s Members’ Handbook with your focal points for specific initiatives.
- An overview of UNEP FI’s work programme.
- An invoice for the appropriate annual membership fee.
- Your organization publicly announces that it is a signatory and member of UNEP FI, with a quote from your CEO.
- Your focal point identifies relevant activities and resources and helps engage colleagues in sustainability integration across priority areas to fulfil your commitments.
For more information about becoming a Member, email email@example.com