Free online training programme
This global training programme has been designed to help the banking community understand how deforestation-risk commodities in their investment portfolios contribute to their overall risk exposure and how to mitigate this exposure through investment in Nature Based Solutions (NbS). It has been developed as a part of the Good Growth Partnership, by UNEP-FI in collaboration with UNEP-WCMC. The training course consists of four modules that will be delivered via online webinars.
Module 1 introduces the global deforestation issue within the broader sustainability agenda, and why it presents a risk to banks involved in the finance of agricultural commodity production and trade. Module 2 and Module 3 provide participants with more detail on how these deforestation-related risks can be identified, assessed and ultimately managed within a risk management framework, and presents some of the opportunities from supporting sustainable commodity production. Module 4 will focus on how Nature Based Solutions (NbS) can be used to mitigate land use risk.
Module 1: Introduction to deforestation and business case
- Understand global deforestation context and why it matters to banks
- Understand sustainability issues in commodity supply chains
- Describe the relationship between banks, agriculture commodities, and natural capital
- Understand risks associated with financing agricultural commodity production and trade
Duration: 1 x 2-hour online session, with interactive audience participation
Module 2: Deforestation Risk Identification and Assessment
- Understanding of relevant factors to consider when deciding the scope of the bank’s deforestation risk assessment (breadth, depth, and lenses)
- Establishing the basis for deforestation risk identification at portfolio and transaction level from legal, reputation and financial lenses
- Get an overview of key tools that can help identification and assessment of deforestation-related risks
Duration: 2 x 2-hour sessions, with interactive audience participation and short videos from guest speakers
Module 3: Managing financial risk and exploring opportunities
- Understand mitigation actions that banks can take to reduce their deforestation-related risks.
- Understand various opportunities and production innovation to support sustainable commodities production.
Duration: 2 x 1.5-hour sessions, with interactive audience participation
Module 4: Nature Based Solutions
- Understand how NbS can be used to mitigate land use risk
- Understand how NbS can be an investment opportunity for banks
Duration: 1x 2-hour session, with interactive audience participation
Audience: This training is suitable for staff of global banks who are looking to advance their understanding of deforestation-related risks and the management of those by banks. It might be of interest for bank officers who work within credit and loans, trade finance and project finance.
- Module 1: Tue, 27/Sept, 14:00-16:00 BST
- Module 2, session 1: Thurs, 29/Sept, 14:00-16:00 BST
- Module 2, session 2: Tue, 04/Oct, 14:00-16:00 BST
- Module 3, session 1: Tue, 11/Oct, 14:00-16:00 BST
- Module 3, session 2: Thurs, 13/Oct, 14:00-16:00 BST
- Nbs module: Tue, 18/Oct, 14:00-16:00 BST
Cost: The course will be free to attend
Certification: Attendance of at least four of the five sessions will be required to receive the course certificate.
Free registration: Click here (registration is confirmed only after submission of the pre-course questionnaire)