The Investment Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool was developed to enable financial institutions to holistically identify and assess the impacts associated with their investment portfolios. It requires users to input data about the nature, content and context of their portfolios. A set of in-built impact mappings is then combined with this data to help users identify the most significant impact areas of the portfolio and to reflect on their current impact performance, thus setting the basis for strategy development and target-setting.
- Download the Tool here (updated 16/07/2021)
- The Tool is a “live tool” that actively incorporates user feedback; we recommend that you frequently check the website for updates to ensure you have the latest version.
- Due to the large file size, it may take some time to download and for some of the outputs to display (to improve usability, please increase autosave intervals).
- Enables fund or portfolio level analysis
- Asset classes covered include fixed income, equity and real estate, among others
- Uses the Principles for Responsible Investment asset class classification & GICS sector classification, among other market standards
- In-built impact mappings (taxonomies), including an asset class/impact map and several asset class-specific mappings
- Two in-built Indicator Libraries
The Tool was developed to enable signatories to the Principles for Responsible Banking (PRB) to meet their requirements under Principle 2 on impact analysis. It complements the Bank Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool, which focuses on Consumer, Business, Corporate and Investment Banking, but does not cover investment portfolios.
The methodology was derived from UNEP FI’s unique holistic approach to impact and the Sustainable Development Goals, as developed by its Positive Impact Initiative (PII), as such it is aligned with the Principles for Positive Impact Finance and is based on the 22 ‘Impact Areas’ of the UNEP FI Impact Radar.
The Tool’s in-built resources are based on internationally recognised standards from within and beyond the UN System.
UNEP FI would like to acknowledge the members of the Private Banking & Asset Management sub-group of the 2020–2021 Portfolio Impact Analysis Working Group, whose work and user experiences are reflected in the Tool. These were:
- Download the demo version of the Tool here
- Access an Interactive Online Introduction to the Tool here
- Download the User Guide for the Tool here (includes video demonstrations)
- Watch the launch of the Tool and demo here
Are you using the Investment Portfolio Tool? What has your experience been like? Share your feedback with the UNEP FI Secretariat and check the website regularly for updates! The adjustments will be listed so you can keep track of what is changing.
- Costanza Ghera, Content Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alexander Stopp, Content Manager – email@example.com
Copyright © United Nations Environment Programme, 2021
The UNEP FI Investment Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool and its User Guide may be reproduced in whole or in part and in any form for non-commercial educational or non-profit purposes without special permission from the copyright holder, provided acknowledgement of the source is made. Please contact the United Nations Environment Programme for a tailored acknowledgement statement. The United Nations Environment Programme would appreciate receiving an electronic copy of any materials (publications, resources, tools) that use all or part of this resource either directly or as a source of inspiration.
No use of the UNEP FI Investment Portfolio Impact Analysis Tool and its User Guide may be made for resale or for any other commercial purpose whatsoever without prior permission in writing from the United Nations Environment Programme.
The conclusions derived by users regarding their most significant Impact Areas and areas of priorities are their own. Only the Tool methodology can be attributed to UNEP FI.