“Rethinking Impact”, the PI Radar and Model Frameworks are now live!
UNEP FI’s Positive Impact Initiative explores solutions to the financing gap for sustainable development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In Rethinking Impact to Finance the SDGs, we explore new ways to significantly decrease the cost of achieving the SDGs and stimulate business and financing solutions at scale. We believe this requires new impact-based business models that work back from impacts’ as-yet under-explored potential to generate financial revenues.
The finance sector has a strategic interest in understanding impacts, not only to meet stakeholder needs, but also to capture new opportunities to support the growth of such an impact-based economy. Accordingly, it needs to improve its capacity for impact analysis.
Via the Principles for Positive Impact Finance, lenders and investors and a range of stakeholders build on existing impact frameworks to develop guidance and tools for holistic impact analysis across a range of financing instruments.
To help implement the Principles, our new PI Radar and Model Frameworks are now available:
- The Model Frameworks help banks and investors develop or adapt appropriate frameworks to implement holistic impact analysis, for decision-making, for the development of financial products, and for the overall review of portfolios
- The Impact Radar provides a taxonomy of impacts and impact definitions to identify both positive and negative impacts
Finally, we are also engaging with the public sector to explore impact-based requests for proposals which can stimulate the private sector to develop impact-based business models.
The initiative is championed by a core group of UNEP FI Members and a wide group of other stakeholders in the public and private sectors.
- Download our flyer to learn more about our work and read our FAQ
- Read our Positive Impact Manifesto, calling for a new financing approach for sustainable develop ment
- Join the growing community of actors engaged in the most significant evolution of finance and see who’s involved
- Follow Positive Impact news on Twitter: @UNEP_FI #positiveimpactnews
- Sign up for Positive Impact Updates
“Previous sector-focused policy-making or a goal-by-goal approach will not achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development or its SDGs. Stronger integrated planning, strategic thinking and policy integration will be crucial for Governments to define the best SDG implementation mix at the local level.”
“Repositioning the UN development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda – Ensuring a Better Future for All: Report of the Secretary-General”, July 2017