Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge
The Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge
The Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge highlights the leadership of financial institutions that have implemented tobacco-free finance policies and encourage others to follow suit.
Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge Launch Event – UNHQ NYC 2018
The Pledge currently has 164 Signatories and 46 Supporters representing:
- USD 11 trillion in Assets Under Management
- USD 2.7 trillion in Corporate Loan Book
- USD 268.5 billion in Gross Premiums
1. Why Sign the Pledge?
Tobacco causes eight million premature deaths worldwide every year and is forecast to cause one billion deaths this century. Global collaboration is needed to tackle the devastating impact of tobacco.
Tobacco use is the single greatest preventable cause of death in the world today, currently on track to kill one billion people this century.
It is estimated that 33 million people are engaged in tobacco farming worldwide.20 In a report issued in March 2017, the International Labor Organisation stated that ‘in tobacco growing communities, child labor is rampant’.
Tobacco growing is responsible for biodiversity losses, land pollution through the use of pesticides, as well as soil degradation, deforestation and water pollution. Tobacco manufacturing is related to 30% of deforestation in Bangladesh.
Pledge Signatories are leading financial institutions that have implemented tobacco-free finance policies and encourage others to follow suit, thereby raising awareness among financial institutions of the essential role the finance sector must play to help achieve the SDG’s, reduce mortality from tobacco and improve global health.
2. Pledge Objectives
The key objectives of the Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge are to:
- Highlight the leadership of financial institutions that have implemented tobacco-free finance policies and encourage others to follow suit;
- Prioritise tobacco on the corporate agenda as a product and industry distinct from any other with no safe level of use and no opportunity for effective engagement;
- De-normalise financial and corporate associations with tobacco companies;
- Raise awareness among financial institutions of the essential role the finance sector must play to assist effective tobacco control;
- Encourage the transition towards tobacco-free finance policies.
3. Who should sign the Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge?
To learn more about the Tobacco Free Finance Pledge, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about Tobacco Free Portfolios and its activities, please visit The Tobacco Free Portfolios’ website.